Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A critique of Academic Feminism

Not all feminists have the same view and within our circles that goes without saying. Every fall Women's Studies at the University of Windsor welcomes a feminist activist (distinguished visitor) onto our campus and into our community to talk about the work they do and their politics and perhaps inspire young (and older) feminists to find their niche and do what they can to promote women's rights and to help out in the social justice movement. Over the years there have been some very inspirational women who have done amazing things visiting us and sharing their stories.

One of the resulting issues about these visits is that some students find it hard to situate themselves into to the politics and passions of these distinguished visitors. I am not disregarding the importance of one's own individual social reality and one's own politics; however, this individualist stance in trying to figure out how "your" politics affect "me" reinforces the individualistic ideologies that I have come to believe is contrary to feminist ideologies. Even in our courses we are geared toward thinking as individuals rather than as a part of a collective. Many of our assignment in various course reflect this.

I guess what I am trying to say is that in an effort to achieve solidarity, we should not necessarily focus on this MY/YOUR dualism (that really does not exist) instead, perhaps we should value the politics of others because they are feminist issues (even if they do not directly affect us).

We do a lot of academic and theoretical learning in the classroom (and i suppose that that is what university is built upon) but, outside of the Women's Studies Student association and various other student groups on campus, there isn't very much community based activities attached to the women's studies program. Perhaps that is what we need in order to build solidarity within our generation's women's movement. The 3rd wave is about identity politics, yes. However, I think we are losing our sense of community in our quest to situate ourselves. As a result we create this I/YOU dichotomy that serves to weaken OUR movement and fragment OUR solidarity.

My feminism is complex and I am not quite sure how it works on a broader scale. I see the value in trying to situate one's self. However, it should not be done at the expense. This process should not be done in a way that promotes devaluation of someone else's feminism

1 comment:

~kitty~ said...

I recently read an article written by a student who absolutely slammed the profs of our program, siting that they did not "practice what they preached". Although I was in agreement with the writer about the fact that you cannot expect something from someone if your not willing to do it yourself- I think I was quick to judge. Teaching others about feminist values and inspiring they to become activist in their own ways is not exactly being stagnate. Creating a whole generation of women who are able to make sense of the world and affirming their place in it, is no easy feat. I think that there is a definite place for academics in feminism. But we must continue to be progressive in the academic realm in order for the value of it to be realized. Theory without practice is useless.

I can relate to this post, especially when it talks of respecting and learning from others whose passions are not like mine. Realistically every topic is interrelated therefore there is value in what is being presented.

I also found that each one has taught me about myself. I have taken from the experience and personal lessons- example Lee Miracle taught be about addressing my white privilege, Uzma Shakir taught be about the movement of people of colour and how little society as progressed in its acceptance even of those born and raised in Canadian Society.... I could go on ...but I think you see what I mean. I have found that the feminist theories and ideals are found in the stories and lives of the distinguished visitors. Most people just have to be open to the messages.