Sunday, May 24, 2009

Embracing Feminist Differences~


This weekend I was blessed to attend the Feminist Research Group conference at the University of Windsor. For those who don't know what this is, it is a collection of interdisciplinary graduate students coming together to present their perspective Master papers to peers. All the presentations have their merits, some more polished then others, but all of the presentations leave attendees feeling inspired and excited for the future.


It was during this time I met a presenter from Massachusetts. It was her first year at the FRG and I asked her how she was enjoying it. She said that it was great--the food, the space, the efficiency and the presentations-- and the feeling of inclusiveness. I was puzzled when she said that. I had to ask her what she meant. "Last year I had attended a conference in NY and they were appalled that I was Pro-Life, to which they automatically said- there is no possible way you can call yourself a feminist. For the rest of the conference I felt excluded and I really began to think about what it means to be a feminist."

I was completely annoyed that she would be treated that way.

I said, "What an absolutely horrible experience that must have been for you. It sounds like you were surrounded by some very die hard second wavers there. I think that this type of behaviour excludes the possibilities of what can be. I like so many other feminist, love our foremothers. They have inspired not just their generation but our generation, and have given us the freedom to dare to dream. Third wave feminism is rooted in the basic feminist principles - equality for all, social justice, exposing sources of oppression, sexual liberation and of course- activism. Does it mean that we all look the same no. I personally think that Third wave is fluid, that individually we can come together on one topic and completely disagree on another- does that make either one of us less of a feminist? I don't think so. Does it disregard the hard work of the second wave? No, I think it's only natural that feminism changes with the world."

She thought for a moment, and said " I like how you think. I know for sure I will be back next year."


Right or wrong I don't think there is a particular way of being a feminist. I surely don't want to pass judgement on others, because to me being a feminist is a very personal thing, and more importantly, I would never want to disregard the hard work, love, time, and sacrifice of our foremothers. We have nothing but love, respect and adoration for their hard work. I personally have never lost sight of everything you have done for us, and we remain grateful. But much like children, there is a time for us to find our own way. A time when we have to take the knowledge you have armed us with and forge our own path in this world. We are not clones but rather an extent ion of you. The roots you have planted are deep and strong we will not forget, or forsake those ideals which unite all feminist.


For all my feminist sisters, embrace the differences, marvel in the possibilities of what might be, know with your heart that we will move forward and continue to fight the good fight until we have achieved our goals. Do not allow difference of opinion cloud your mind and divide you. We have much to accomplish and we can only do it with the love and support of one another. I leave you with a thought:


Any woman who chooses to behave like a full human being should be warned that the armies of the status quo will treat her as something of a dirty joke. That's their natural and first weapon. She will need her sisterhood. ~~~ Gloria Steinem~~~


No comments: